Beans, Your Grandmother’s Way
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
- (3) tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- (1) medium onion, finely chopped
- (1) jalapeno
- (1) sprig epazote
- (1) pound dried black beans or pinto beans
- Soak your beans overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans.
- Heat lard in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until edges are charred, 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, epazote sprig, if desired, and beans to pot; add water to cover by 2 inches.
- Simmer, partially covered, until beans are cooked, about 2 hours. Season with salt and cook 15 minutes longer; discard epazote.